Thursday, June 14, 2012

Queequeg

I guess I'm Ahab's first mate. Or harpooner, since I refused to be called "Starbuck." (I didn't want a name that was associated with mocha lattes and Battlestar Galactica, thank you very much.) Anyway, he called me Queequeg and I guess I've gotten used to the name by now.

I'm not here for his revenge, though. I'm here because...

Okay, this might sound silly, but a long time ago I read Miguel Cervantes' Don Quixote. And then I saw this old movie called They Might Be Giants (and yes, it was where the band got its name from). It's basically Don Quixote in a modern setting: the main character, instead of believing himself a knight, thinks that he's Sherlock Holmes. And his psychiatrist, he believes, is Watson and they go out on an adventure.

The name comes from a quote from Quixote, about tilting towards windmills and how Quixote thought that they were giants. Watson points out that they were just windmills, but Sherlock says, "Ah, but they might be giants!"

...well, guess what? Yeah, that's right, I'm Ahab's psychiatrist. Queequeg the shrink.

And he thinks he's Ahab, but he's actually Don Quixote. Thinking that this "slender man" killed his family. It's...very sad, actually.

Anyway, I'm here because I want to keep him out of trouble. I'm here to stop him from doing any harm to anybody. To stop him from killing anybody. I know I should put him in a psychiatric clinic, but I just can't, not after the fire that actually killed his family.

So here I am: first mate to Captain Ahab. Tilting at windmills. Which might be slender men.

No comments:

Post a Comment